Jenny: Ok hi, my name’s Jenny and Beatrice is interviewing me. And yeah.

Beatrice:Ok hi, so what high school did you come from?

Jenny: I came from Queens Gateway, it’s a health science secondary school, you guys probably’ve never heard of that but yeah.

Beatrice: Uh, so what’s your favorite film?

Jenny: Um my favorite film, I have a bunch but I think my favorite would be Romi and Michelle’s High School Reunion because I just think its so funny and yeah (nods).

Beatrice: Oh ok. So what was your first impression of English class?

Jenny: I thought it was a bit intimidating but um I don’t know I think I’ll learn a lot from it, especially about making films and editing and stuff because I’m not really used to things like that. (nods)

Beatrice: That’s good. Uh why did you choose to come to Queens College?

Jenny: (Pause) I chose to come to this college because um I really like the campus and some of the programs they offer so yeah.

Beatrice: Uh how is your freshman year experience going so far?

Jenny: So far it’s a bit boring honestly but hopefully I don’t know throughout the weeks it’ll get better and I’ll make friends. (laughs)

Beatrice: Uh so whats your favorite course that you’re taking this semester?

Jenny: I think my favorite course would be my sociology class because the teacher’s really cool and I’m hoping to become more open-minded so yeah (nods).

Beatrice: Uh what, what’s your major?

Jenny: I don’t have a major yet so I’m still undecided.

Beatrice: Are you looking into something or…(Jenny smiles)

Jenny: Um I’m thinking about design but I’m not sure what kind yet.

Beatrice: Oh ok, where, what do you see yourself doing ten years from now career-wise?

Jenny: Ten years (brief pause) well if I do get into design hopefully I’ll be like I don’t know a businesswoman like I don’t know.(Film cuts off)

Reflection:

Looking at the syllabus, I knew that the first assignment was going to be a tricky task because of my past nerve-wrecking experiences with public speaking. At that moment I thought we could choose to be partners with someone we already knew and had met before. Little did I know, that was not the case. When Professor Ferguson partnered me up with Jenny, I started getting a little nervous about the idea of being interviewed by a complete stranger in front of a camera.

To my surprise, I was not nervous at all during my interview, but actually quite comfortable. Maybe that was partially due to the fact that we had each written out the questions we were going to ask and got time to review them before being interviewed. In any case, being interviewed was a good experience for me and I learned a lot by reviewing the video. Although I’m very proud of myself for not saying like and umm so many times, I believe I could improve on certain things. In future interviews, I need to work on my body language and responding quicker. While I felt more comfortable interviewing, I was worried about asking a question in which the interviewee could not respond to. In this aspect, I am certain that reviewing the questions before the interview helped a lot.

Overall, I think the project fulfilled the goals of getting us acquainted with each other as classmates, becoming familiar with the camera, and becoming less nervous about being in such an awkward predicament Through this project, I realized that public speaking is not easy and takes a great deal of experience and practice. Though it was my first experience conducting an interview and being interviewed myself, I enjoyed it and look forward to such assignments in the future!

One Response to “Jenny’s Interview Transcript and Reflection”

1.   Jenny Lu Says:

In the last paragraph Beatrice says “Through this project, I realized that public speaking is not easy and takes a great deal of experience and practice,” shows a positive connotation between her feelings and the assignment.
    Through her experience with assignment she also learned about what she needed to work on with such as her body language, and responding quicker to the questions.