As I began to read this article I noticed that Grierson had a heavy undertone. His tone was to suggest in my interpretation the decline of modern art forms which are include films and writing. Throwing puff pieces towards the written media, claiming that they avoid solid consideration of any material and avoid sold material all together. He goes on to say that studios produce films which do not compare to real actions being filmed in real surrounding in real time. The idea that real events that happen are far more likely to blossom in your mind than a generated script.

Flaherty is brought up as a documentary director, how a great addition to studio had been dismissed after realizing that it was in fact the actual footage of real people in real surroundings which would have led to success. After making multiple films he was to his dismay, associated with failure. Though one of his documentaries, ‘White Shadows of the South Seas’ did become a success it had been overshadowed by his two other failures Moana and Tabu. He did not intend to meddle with the raw footage but was pressed by the cynicism of the pressures of hollywood.

In conclusion I picked out something which had really struck me, ‘one has to see that we do not mixup fullfillment of primitive desires and vain dignities which attach to that fullfillment, with the dignities which attach to a man as an imaginative being’. This really struck me, how such a profound thought could be summed up so easily. We must realize that though we read novels, watch movies among others we must always realize what is real and fake. How real life impacts the very basis of our knowledge base, how we interpret every day life is far more interesting than how we interpret a work of fiction.

2 Responses to “Grierson First Principle Doc. Response”

1.   Jenny Lu Says:

I like how you interpreted the line where Grierson says “one has to see that we do not mix up fulfillment of primitive desires and vain dignities which attach to that fulfillment, with the dignities which attach to a man as an imaginative being.” You said the quote means distinguishing between what is real and fake and about how our experiences shape our knowledge on understanding something. I looked at the quote a bit differently when i read it. I said I think Grierson is saying that one shouldn’t force their opinions on another because not only is it wrong, however, everyone has their own take on things and that’s what makes us unique.

2.   Kevin L. Ferguson Says:

Interesting comment Jenny; I was also taking a second look at the quote Brad mentioned. I was thinking about how it implies that both real things and fake things can become part of our “knowledge base”–that it’s easy to mix up in our minds the moral lesson of a fiction film (like The Public Enemy) with, say, a documentary on juvenile delinquency. Documentary seems to fit somewhere in there–part of our knowledge base that flirts with both “real” and “fake” things.