I found that Sharon R. Sherman’s Projecting the Self used many of Harvey’s Elements of the Academic Essay. The first one I noticed was Thesis. The first paragraph of Projecting the Self is what I think is the thesis because it gives the introduction to the topic that’s going to be discussed throughout and it gives you a feel of what the rest of the essay might be about without just jumping into it and risk being confused.

I also noticed Sherman used Evidence with her examples from fellow filmmakers. The part when she talked about narration vs. no narration, she used filmmakers personal quotes as the evidence to help us understand the two sides of the argument. I also feel like she used her evidence in a way that any reader could follow because while reading it, I didn’t feel confused at all and I understood the points being made for each side of the argument. You could also say these quotes could be Sherman’s Sources as well because they helped get across what she was writing about and I felt all the quotes were integrated really well and were easy to follow.

When I read this essay I also saw bits of Orienting throughout as well. Whenever she would bring up a different part of making a film, she would use orienting. For example, when she started the section on sound she started off by giving definitions to sound-over voices and sync-sound which any casual reader like myself might not be familiar with. She only told us the necessary information about them and showed their differences in one or two sentences that weren’t too long and technical but were brief and understandable enough for the reader to keep reading on. Finally, Sherman used a Title that could spark a reader’s interest and sum up the whole of her writing. When I saw the title “Projecting the Self” I wasn’t quite sure what to expect but when I saw the subtitle “Filmic Technique and Construction” I had a much better idea of what I was about to read and I instantly became more interested. A good title should draw someone in from first glance but have the reader be able to connect it to whatever they are reading as a whole and that’s exactly what Sherman did here.