In Shermans Projecting the Self, clearly we can see that he abides by Gordon Harvey’s “Elements of the Academic Essay”. As I began to first read through it I did not look for any elements, instead i tried to understand what was written. As I read I found that each paragraph seemed to flow seamlessly into the next. Clearly whilst writting this thought went into how she wanted this post to come across. Sharon R. Sherman had clearly linked her work in a decipherable order, one which had allowed the reader to follow her point and to see it proven true/false in her eyes.

As i re-read this article i also noticed that when I was reading each argument had been supported with evidence. Such as when Sherman restates “One of the crucial differences between dramatic and documentary films is that in dramatic films you know it’s a lie, whereas in documentary films you are made to believe its the truth, when in fact, it’s as much a lie as the other stuff”. Early on she stakes a claim and begins to mill through it with true facts and evidence to support her claim. Even citing documentaries which had been edited to simply explain a point that no matter which type of film there is, it can never truly be the truth.

Throughout the essay she seamlessly provides us with her stance, evidence, sources and analyzes each to make it each incase you couldn’t read in between the lines. Sherman takes her literary work to new heights, following the elements of an academic essay set forth by Gordon Harvey. I further deduced Sherman had chosen to use loggos. She chose to use logic to clear her point through her writing. Combined with the way she had went through the elements led Sherman’s “Projecting the Self” to be enriched with content while maintaining a point and getting it across.