The first thing I noticed about this reading was Vertov’s use of Harvey’s “Elements of An Academic Essay”. Just like in the previous reading, Vertov refers to key terms such as “bourgeoisie” and “six-real cine/psycho-drama” to develop his arguments. I believe the structure of this reading was pretty straightforward, Vertov provides us with an example for each point he makes. I think his sentence structure is pretty concise and to the point as well. The tone of the reading for the first couple of pages, however, seems to be angry. During this, he seems to be bashing all filmmakers, and movie-goers, alike. This is portrayed to us through the repetition of the word you (in the manner that he says it) at the beginning of every sentence for the first few sentences.

One quote stuck with me throughout the whole entire reading. On page 81, he says, “The organism of cinematography is poisoned by the frightful venom of habit.” I think this sentence alone could be his thesis. This quotation provides us with his main argument that filmmakers have a tendency of creating their films in such a way that the films are a reflection of their viewpoints and beliefs.

After reading this, I was shocked at how forceful this whole reading seemed. Vertov seems to be sort of pushing his views onto his readers and believing that he, and only he, is right. His mention of the eyes of the audience being under slavery just attests to the fact. At one point on page 83, Vertov states that “We cannot make our eyes better than they have been made, but the movie camera we can perfect forever.” This almost sounds like a sarcastic comment trying to attack the filmmaker by saying that our eyes cannot be adapted to see from the point of view of the filmmaker.

He also goes on to talk about how time is disregarded in movies because one shot, no matter when it took place, can be “stictched” into a shot following a scene with similar characteristics. For example, he mentions, several clips of a burial process. All of these shots can be “stitched” one after another because they are all in sequence and make sense.

2 Responses to “Reaction to Dziga Vertov”

1.   Jenny Lu Says:

The quote “We cannot make our eyes better than they have been made, but the movie camera we can perfect forever” by Vertov also stuck out to me as I was reading his work. I think it’s very interesting how he makes this argument which serves as one of his main focuses in proving to the audience that the camera is more powerful in portraying things then the human eye. I like your interpretation, however, I saw it as Vertov simply trying to prove that the human eye is weak and unable to capture those “special” moments while as the camera can be improved and capture those moments that the human eye can’t.

2.   Russell Weinberg Says:

The organism of cinematography quote stuck out to me because it seemed like a contradiction. He said that first he wanted to get rid of cinematography all together, then hes worried about it being poisoned. I like that this stuck out to you to because i too find it to be important.