When I had first learned that we would be doing a few readings by Dziga Vertov, my first thought was who is this guy and why is he so important? After reading a few of his manifestos, I am realizing just home important he and his thoughts are. Vertov was a documentary and newsreel director who is also looked at as a cinema theorist. His manifestos about kinopravda, “film truth”, and the importance, or lack there of, of cinematography are brilliant! I really find what he has to say interesting and intriguing, especially the way they are presented to us in such short precious sentences like little thoughts jotted down on a piece of paper. In class we focused on the first reading “WE: Variant of a Manifesto”, which heavily discussed the matter of cinematography and how it gets in the way of true art in films. I agree with what this first reading said, I think it’s true that the picking and cutting and editing of a film just ruin it’s true original beauty.

After reading the brief reading called “The Fifth Issue of Kinopravda”, I found out that Kinopravda was actually a film journal ran by Vertov. I think that in this Vertov is explaining that “newsreel(s) should feed off reality” (Vertov 11) and not feed into this new revelation of editing and cutting and changing things around. That a newsreel should stay close to the truth and not edit it with good lighting or fix things, it should stay close to the idea of kinopravda which is “film truth.”

Lastly the longest reading was “Kinoks: A Revolution”, which although more lengthy then the others was more full of information. I think that the first thing that stuck out to me was the structure of this reading its very well planned out, it even has subtitles which point out other pieces of evidence that support his claims on film truth and newsreels in general. The manifesto starts out with Vertov talking to us, the filmmakers, the audiences, the proprietors, the people stuck with memories and the waiters, he speaks to us saying open your eyes to whats around you, look at the sensations of cinema going threw a revolution! I think the way he says this, the way it stands out on a page, the way its written and the way he compares the the revolution to guts spilling out of a body, I just thought was so amazing! He then goes on to explain different cases where this “revolution” is occurring, giving us pure evidence and logos (logical persuasion) with the dates and facts and everything. I just think that Vertov is very smart and the way he puts these writings together is what makes them. Threw them we are allowed to get a taste of Vertov, and i absolutely loved what he was saying.

2 Responses to “Response to Dziga Vertov”

1.   Mathias Kranacher Says:

His debate between cinema and cinemtography really was brilliant! It made you think about all the movies now that rely so much on CGI and advanced cinematography to tells story. We take all that for granted. I think its become Hollywoods last restort. There running out of ideas! Instead of really thinking and trying to be original, lets just make a movie about nothing and put a huge amount of effects and make it 3D so we get more money! Its pathetic now. We need movies that go back to the old days of just a camera and actors. He would like that lol…

2.   Russell Weinberg Says:

You seemed to enjoy the article somewhat and thats cool. I like how vertov gets in touch with his readers by using colorful language that grabs your attention and metaphors that make you think.. I agree that Kinoks a Revolution had the most interesting stuff too.