My First Reaction to all of this stuff by Vertov was “Wow, this guy is really interesting”. The first thing that stood out to me was in the paragraph where he talks about the literary skeleton of the film. I found this interesting because it makes sense to me. Without the genre of film, what is it? Nothing more than a bunch of images strung together in a line. ” A Literary Skeleton plus Film-Illustrations”. The words and  “images” that Vertov use grabbed hold of me, because there unusual. Vertov’s metaphors and similes held my attention because I’m used to these essays being boring, and drawn out, no colorful language or comparisons, but Vertov’s unusual writing style keeps it interesting.

The next thing that really peaked my interest was his analysis of film. He seems like he either tried really hard to gain something from the newer films of America and the West and the USSR, but no matter how hard he tries, he cannot grasp anything good in them. He states that “The main and essential thing is; The sensory exploration of the world through film”(14). This leads to his description of a perfect eye, more perfect than the human eye at least. An eye that can capture both time and space, and preserve it for all mankind to study. The most important thing about the camera is perception. Vertov talks about how people’s perception from the first person of what they’re doing, and the third person the camera brings us are entirely different, how the camera can capture more going on than the first person eye could ever wish to.

I love the end of this too, where Vertov (who seems to write poems throughout this, to help further his interesting writing) seems to write a whole poem about the camera. It gives the camera a personality, and a powerful one at that, almost God like. It makes you feel the cameras power, what it can do to trick you eye, and even create whats not there. Even mentioning through montage how it can build the perfect human.

Overall i really liked Vertovs writing. It didn’t bore me and overall kept me interested which alot of things seem unable to do.

One Response to “Kinoks: A Revolution”

1.   Sinyee Cindy Leung Says:

When Verto talks about perception of the first person, the second person and so on, I feel like the “cinema eye” is actually an eye, gathering different information and feelings from different people but then he says we cannot trust the human eye…this really confuses me.