At first I thought this was going to be another dull reading, especially when I saw how many pages it was. It didn’t take long for me to change my mind however. Dziga Vertov seems to be a very interesting and, dramatic individual. He explains himself in some very unusual ways threw out the selected articles. He also seems to have a very, pragmatic view of cinematography and how it needs to change.

The section that caught my attention the most was at the very beginning, the selection from the Manifesto of the Beginning of 1922. At first he is describing the Director, the writer, movie goers, and owners of movie theaters in very interesting ways. He then goes on to say how they are all waiting for the “New Six real feature.” He talks about how this will not happen unless something is done about it and that something he personifies as a bloody and gory revolution that will only happen once everyone realizes what must be done. That I found to be a very different approach to the subject that I am used to.

I also found the selection from “Down with 16 photographs per second” to be interesting. In this he talks about how the movie camera is better then the human eye. He says that the camera is not required to be in any position or have any sort of “limit to the number of moments to be observed per second.” He says that we cannot improve our eye more then nature has already, but the movie camera we can improve forever.

4 Responses to “Response to Vertov”

1.   Sinyee Cindy Leung Says:

Actually, I dont understand what “six-act film-drama” means and I was expecting that prof. Ferguson would have said something about it in the class but he didnt. Is it related to what you have said about “new six real feature”? And what he said about 12 walls is really abstract to me.

2.   Mathias Kranacher Says:

I really liked his use of metaphors. Relating the camera to the human eye was excellent. I know we read something like that before with other authors but I think waht made this one better was the detail he put behind it. A lot if the other readings, I feel, just made the comparison and that was it. Vertov did make the comparison, but then explaned how they where different and how the camera was better than the human eye.

3.   Kevin L. Ferguson Says:

The “six-reel” thing means a film that is the length of six “reels.” A reel was around 10 minutes long, so six reels would be a little over an hour (a featured film compares to a shorter, one- or two-reel news film). The 12 walls thing I think is his way of saying that film can “build” the world in impossible or unusual ways–he created an “extraordinary room” with 12 walls by bringing together different film fragments.

4.   Beatrice Pana Says:

I agree with you when you called him a dramatic individual, I believe his use of metaphors, let alone, support your statement. He makes comparisons with life and death, meanwhile, probably not realizing that he is going from one extreme to another in his comparisons. I believe he is right on the fact that we can improve the camera forever because I feel like there’s always an unexplored angle or shot in the world of film.