When I first opened up this reading I wasn’t very enthusiastic to start reading it. It seemed like a lot of pages and a lot of things to go through.  As I read I realized it wasn’t going to be as bad as I thought because it was broken down into multiple small sections. One of the passages that I liked the most was “Don’t Not Copy from the Eyes”. I really like the way he says that “we raped the movie camera and forced it to copy the work of our eye”.  He makes it seem like the camera is a slave to us and is forced to copy things that we see. I feel like he is suggesting something else be done.

Vertov suggests that the camera should look beyond what the eye sees and explore the subject more. He gives an example “They are lowering the coffins of national heroes (shot in Astraskhan in 1918)… memorial service-hats come off (Moscow 1922)” He sets up a scene for you and as he describes you can almost see it playing out in your head. In the scene you are moving through four years of time but it all goes by in less than a minute.

In the passage ”Early Thoughts” he discusses his face being on camera. He tells us how his face looked and how all of his emotions were shown through his face and through the camera. He describes this as the Kino-eye. The Kino-eye is “a world perceived without a mask, as a world of naked truth”. I feel like even though this statement comes kind of early in his writing it kind of sums up his main point about the Kino-eye. I would also like to had that I liked how Vertov used stories in his life and things like his “Three Songs about Lenin” to discuss his points throughout the essay. I thought that kept it interesting throughout the reading.

2 Responses to “Vertov Kinoks-Revolution”

1.   Carlene Faith Says:

My first thoughts were quite like yours, i wasn’t too enthusiastic to read to this reading. I agree with you about the raping part I love the way you put it too as the camera being our slave. I also really liked what you said about kino-eye i agree it truly sums up some of the main points.

2.   Mathias Kranacher Says:

Same here! I always have that thought when I start reading, more so when the readings are long! I think it takes that one or two sentences that you like to fully grasp your attentions, which Vertov did. His style of writing was amazing and he really put some light on some very interesting topics (raping the camera etc etc). What made it so interesting I think was that we were reading something that we really dont read everyday. I enjoyed it! I’ll read another passage by him anytime…