Surprisingly, this reading turned out to be a lot better than I thought it would be. When I first started reading it at home, Vertov used such big words and not to sound like a preschooler, but those words through me off completely. His style of writing was so intense and so overdone in my opinion that it made me not want to read it any further. I honestly didn’t know what I was reading. “The machine makes us ashamed of man’s inability to control himself,” is that something you read every day? But once we started discussing it in class and breaking down what he meant, his words and his style of writing became so intriguing!

Vertov definitely has a style all his own; it’s something that I really can’t put my finger on. It’s not like reading something by Shakespeare and saying “this is Shakespeare because I know how he writes.” Vertov has created this unbelievable entertaining style of writing that lends a voice to his readers by constantly using the word “we.” (You don’t see that a lot in Shakespeare.) And for someone who generally has a passion for film and the ‘art’ of filmmaking, his metaphorically usage for cinematography is amazing. He gives such a realistic feel, description actually, to the art of cinematography. “Cinematography must die so that the art of cinema may live.” Yet again, is that something you read every day?

For Vertov to take something as common as film, which technology is now letting us to take it for granted I believe, and give it a voice is fantastic, which is why once I started to look deeper into his writing I enjoyed it so much. It truly is amazing how Vetrov defended cinema and showed what its true value is. Yes I understand times are changing and things are only going to expand and getter better from here, but is more always better? Is having a film shot in Dolby Digital 3D with Surround Sound really necessary!? I think we’re doing it now just to do it; just for a director to say “my movie is a 3D movie and yours wasn’t.” Soon it won’t be action and horror films that are 3D, it’ll probably be comedies and dramas.

After reading Vetov and figuring out what his stance is on cinematography and cinema itself, I think he would be extremely disappointed to see what is in our movie theaters today. I think he’s turning in his grave just knowing that over 30 movies will be released in 3D next year. (You know a whole lot more will be converted because 3D now has become a sure fire way for studios to make big bucks at the box office.) He definitely would say that Avatar is a blow to cinematography and that it destroyed the real meaning of the motion picture. (But you have to admit, it was a great movie!) Like I said, Cinema must be able to flow freely, without cuts, edits and visual distraction so that the art of cinema is to remain dominant.

3 Responses to “Response to Vetov:”

1.   maya1 Says:

i agree his metaphors were really interesting. they added a personal touch to his writing that made this memorable to read and added to his already interesting stance on cinematagraphy

2.   Mathias Kranacher Says:

I

3.   Mathias Kranacher Says:

Ooops, hit the button to fast lol. Let try again..
    I loved his stance on cinematography! Its kind of funny, when I was writing this and thinking about it, I really started agreeing with what I was writing. I was actually watching Avatar when I was writing this and seriously thinking “does any of this have to do with the story???” CGI and stuff like that completely ruins a story. I think CGI should be used as a last restort. Thats why I love Christopher Nolan. Both Batmans used almost no CGI and all the stunts were performed by actors and, my favorite, was Incpetion! The hallway scene with zero gravity…all real and no CGI!