Your task in class today is to add one paragraph to your cover letter, incorporating an argument that Wild makes in his essay. You should identify one claim Wild makes and apply it to your situation in this class. Remember that Harvey would tell us we need to have evidence and appropriate analysis.

18 Responses to “Wild / Cover Letter”

1.   Brad Bujan Says:

Ikey and Brad
    If a composition class is to serve as a introduction to academic thinking, our pedagogy must always return to an understanding of how difficult this kind of thinking differently is for students. Revision, the act of seeing again and anew and to subsequently integrate ones insights into (re)writing might serve as a basis. Revision is key in writing, improving writing can only be done through fresh eyes. Revision for a student is different from that of a professor and so takes time for the student to understand and finalize their thoughts. The teacher has to realize the process for the student is different and takes longer for them to realize their key arguments and bring them to light.

2.   bpana0813 Says:

As Wild states, “The emphasis and development of critical thinking skills lies in the act of revision, of re-seeing one’s written work, illuminated by assertions, commentary, and classroom debates.” This quote has aided me in my own views on revision and writing in general. I now understand how to look back at my essays and not only look for grammatical error but error in style, stance, orientation, etc. I know how to extend my critical thinking skills beyond just developing on a certain quote. I understand that I have to provide my own views and commentary on a certain topic or subject in order for it to be considered analysis.

3.   Carlene Faith Says:

Daniel H. Wilde, a writer and doctor, said “The process of revision allows room for correcting sentence-level errors, but the emphasis in the development of critical thinking skills lies in the act of revision, of reseeding one’s written work, illumined by assertions, commentary, and classroom debates”. He felt that the revision process is not only good for minor things like grammar but also brings forth a new way of thinking. He also explains how important the revision process is, since it is something that is never done. It can change structural errors and your entire way of thinking. As Wilde, said revision became something that we were able to not only change structural errors but also change our thought process behind the work. Like in our letter to the president, when starting we didn’t know much about the piece but now after researching, talking about it and working on it in class we know way more and can change the piece and our thoughts.

4.   ss14 Says:

With Mathias
    The beginning of the text makes the comparison that words paint a picture. Words to image is very easy but image to word is harder to grasp.
    -So if I want to take Wilds writing and apply it to the Cover Letter, which is suppose to tell how you have master the learning objective, I think this is the comparison:
    -using certain words and providing a certain structure (which goes back to Harvey’s elements) so that the paragraphs flow smoothly and the writing is improved.
    -You can only describe so much about an action in a given space so you have to decided what works are going to discuss and how your going to discuss them.

5.   bpana0813 Says:

Regie, Beatrice, and Jenny*

6.   maya1 Says:

The process of revision allows room for correcting sentences-level errors, but the emphasis in the development of critical thinking skills lies in the act of revision. Revision, the act of seeing again and anew and to subsequently integrate one’s insights into re writing, might serve as a basis. When doing revision, we have to think about the overall idea of the entire cover letter. Stitching and sentence structure must be present for our cover letters to work and be clear.

7.   bpana0813 Says:

As Wild states, “The emphasis and development of critical thinking skills lies in the act of revision, of re-seeing one’s written work, illuminated by assertions, commentary, and classroom debates.” This quote has aided me in my own views on revision and writing in general. I now understand how to look back at my essays and not only look for grammatical errors but errors in style, stance, orientation, etc. I know how to extend my critical thinking skills beyond just developing on a certain quote. I understand that I have to provide my own views and commentary on a certain topic or subject in order for it to be considered analysis. One prime example of this, is when I went back to my persuasive epistolary essay and in my historical importance paragraph added not only my own views about the history behind the clock tower, but also the historical information I found at the archives about Dr. Martin Luther King and his speech at Queens College. I then went on to say how this speech can be considered as part of the historical importance of the clock tower on the QC campus.

8.   brad Says:

Daniel H. Wild’s ‘ Writing Images’ serves the purpose to elaborate on writing from a students point of view so that teachers may better understand what their pupils must go through during their writing process. “Revision, the act of seeing again and anew and to subsequently integrate ones insights into (re)writing might serve as a basis.”(23). I identified with this sentence in my writing, revision is key. A skill which is mandatory in rewriting your work is used as an insight into the writers mind. Without revision, thoughts are loosely held together fluff and repetition. To truly get across the point in my writing I have to be able to follow Wild’s advice, I have to be able to eliminate meaningless ideas while building on those which would help evolve my writing.

9.   John Malach Says:

Daniel H. Wild was quoted as saying “The process of revision allows room for correcting sentence-level errors, but the emphasis in the development of critical thinking skills lies in the act of revision, of reseeding one’s written work, illumined by assertions, commentary, and classroom debates.”(23) This shows that he felt that revision process was not only good for minor errors but also was a way to go back to something with a brand new mind set as we are doing now with out own revision process. This is clearly shown when I went back to the letter to the President of Queens College by how when I originally wrote it I had no knowledge of the Sphere’s of Klapper Hall but now after a semester of hard research and finding I can o back and add key details I would otherwise left out due to lack of a growing experience. I am now going into that letter a more experienced writer with information I didn’t have at the time which is the greater form of revision as well as fixing grammatical errors or spelling mistakes which takes the simplistic form of revision into play as well.

10.   regiesh Says:

Wild states “The emphasis and development of critical thinking skills lies in the act of revision, of re-seeing one’s written work, illuminated by assertions, commentary, and classroom debates.” Before this class, I had revised my work grammatically and maybe even sometimes changed my wording but found it tedious. I now see the importance in revision. Revision is important because you can incorporate what you learn post originally writing the essay. I have incorporated key terms for example in my epistolary essay that without the understanding of academic elements I would have never known to revise. I took what I had learned in english 110 and used it to better my essay. I had re-read the essay with more educated eyes. This is not to say I wasn’t educated before understanding different academic literary elements but learning of them was only beneficial as it strengthened my work.

(Include citation here…)

11.   IJ Says:

I came into this course without many English writing skills and I think that it shows on some of the earlier assignments. In Wild’s essay he says “the development of critical thinking skills lies in the act . . . of re-seeing ones written work, illuminated by assertions, commentary, and classroom debates” (23). The act of revision will allow me to see my work from a new perspective after acquiring the necessary writing skills.

12.   maya1 Says:

Wild states, “The process of revision allows room for correcting sentences-level errors, but the emphasis in the development of critical thinking skills lies in the act of revision”(23). Being able to revise is part of any good piece of writing but critical thinking skills are what is essential to revising. One has to be able to analyze their work and break down what they want to say and know that something should go or something should stay while having everything still seem clear.

13.   jennylu Says:

As Wild states, “The emphasis and development of critical thinking skills lies in the act of revision, of re-seeing one’s written work, illuminated by assertions, commentary, and classroom debates.” This quote has aided me in my own views on revision and writing in general. I now understand how to look back at my essays and not only look for grammatical error but error in style, stance, orientation, etc. I know how to extend my critical thinking skills beyond what simply appears to be on the surface. In essence Wild is saying that composition is more than simply acquiring writing skills or perfecting my grammar, yet it is about reflecting and understanding why I wrote what I wrote. The idea of revision is not only for the purposes of enhancing our work, however it serves as a reflection or merely a blueprint of us and our understanding on a topic. It’s not so much about the product of a person’s writing, however, it is about the process they went through to achieve their final pieces. Revision not only deals with identifying specific errors and trying to correct them in our writing, however, its purpose lies in developing our critical thinking skills which resides in reflection on our work and seeing it through fresh eyes. This is what I’ve kept in mind while assembling this portfolio.

14.   Carlene Faith Says:

Daniel H. Wild, a writer and doctor, said “The process of revision allows room for correcting sentence-level errors, but the emphasis in the development of critical thinking skills lies in the act of revision, of reseeding one’s written work, illumined by assertions, commentary, and classroom debates” (23). Wild believed that the revision process was not necessarily about fixing grammar and spelling but more about the editing of your thoughts, for he felt that one’s writing is in fact their critical thinking process and not just their way of portraying them. He felt that by channeling claims, people’s thoughts, and discussions that one could truly revise their work. In the English 110 class, I wrote a persuasive epistolary essay to the president of Queens College to save a piece of art. Upon writing it I knew very little information about the piece. Now that I am editing the piece, I am using what Wild said about revision. Instead of just focusing on what I didn’t do right grammatically I am focusing on fixing my piece and adding what I have learned since, which has changed my whole thought process.

15.   Russell Weinberg Says:

Daniel H. Wilde, a writer and doctor, said “The process of revision allows room for correcting sentence-level errors, but the emphasis in the development of critical thinking skills lies in the act of revision, of reseeding one’s written work, illumined by assertions, commentary, and classroom debates” (23, Wild). He felt that the revision process is not only good for minor things like grammar but also brings forth a new way of thinking. He also explains how important the revision process is, since it is something that is never done.The Letter to the President is a good example of not only looking back on what you have done and having a self-reflection session, and is a great example of how the writing process is never complete. When we wrote the Letter to the President, we didn’t know very much about our art piece. We knew it existed, and we knew we had to defend it. All other information came from our observation of it. At first i thought this was stupid. How can one defend something that they know nothing about? Now looking back on it, I have gained new insight and knowledge about my piece, and this new information, makes it possible to have more passion in my argument, and more information to support “The Tubes” being preserved. This is a perfect example of how the writing process never ends for with this new information, a whole new document can be born from that original letter. As Wilde, said revision became something that we were able to not only change structural errors with, but also can change our thought process behind our work.

16.   Sinyee Cindy Leung Says:

“The process of revision allows room for correcting sentences-level errors, but the emphasis in the development of critical thinking skills lies in the act of revision” (Wild 23). “Revision, the act of seeing again and anew and to subsequently integrate one’s insights into re writing, might serve as a basis” (Wild 23). When doing the revision, it is necessary to condense the overall ideas I have mentioned in my essay and then try to see if there is any misuse of “stitching” in order to make my essay flow more fluently. To condense all the ideas I have made in my essay, I have to read through every single sentence in my essay and thus I can check if there is any “sentences-level errors”; and since I have to condense my ideas to understand/ recall (see again) what I wanted to say in my essay, I think this would be a process of “critical thinking”, which is to connect all the information you have given or found and your own knowledge together and to analyze them. In conclusion, I think I have done well in Wild’s ideas of revision.

17.   Mathias Kranacher Says:

Wilds wrote that “the primary focus thus becomes the production of writing that moves towards a self-reflexive understanding of its discursive function.” He believes that writing is a process of reflection, comprehension and revision and not something that is perfect the first time around. His idea applies to the classes Learning Objective of revision, something that is needed over and over again in English. This is evident in my Annotated Bibliography that was done not once, but three times. I had to go back and completely redo it because I did not get the full grasp of what was being asked. After much revision, I finally had a piece of writing I was comfortable with

18.   ss14 Says:

Daniel H. Wild wrote that ,“The process of revision allows room for correcting sentence-level errors, but the emphasis in the development of critical thinking skills lies in the act of revision, of reseeding one’s written work, illumined by assertions, commentary, and classroom debates” (Wild 23). Revision is a process of reflection and correcting not only grammar but research information and structure. Like in my Letter to the President, after looking back i realized how jumbled and unorganized my essay was. I re-did my letter 3-4 times before i was able to come to the conclusion that my letter was better. It wasn’t perfect but my ideas were conveyed in a concise manner.